WALX With Sole is a Reading-based Nordic walking group that thrives on fresh air fitness.
We exercise the soul on the souls!
We offer a variety of walks, including the popular the popular Nordic walks, to entice everyone outdoors for more than just an adventure. We read the maps so you can relax and enjoy the chatter and scenery. It’s maximum smileage in Mother Nature’s gym. Awesome!
- Explorer WALX – exploring new places and enjoying a cuppa and cake or pub stop.
- Total Body WALX – working out the whole body with a variety of fun equipment (suitable for all)
- Wellness WALX – gentle paced walks suitable for those who like a slow pace or recovering. These are often wheel chair friendly too.
- Nordic WALX – this is for our Freedom Passport members who have been taught to Nordic Walk and understand the power of the poles. We do have taster sessions and beginner courses.
- Our WALX can include Chi Fusion, Freestyle Fitness Yoga, Smoveys, ProXwalkers, Power WALX, for example.
- Why not also try out our Chi Fusion WALX, or Woodland Escapes, with Qi breathing, movement and mindfulness.
Nordic Walking is the original exhilarating cheeky exercise in disguise without the huff n puff.
You increase the calorie burn by 40% by adding poles to your walk and work your upper body AND lower body at the same time! Nordic walking is a technical fitness walk and with the correct instruction and class engagement, you will be giggling your way to a fitter happier you. Release the endorphins, the body’s own laughter chemicals and feel stress just melt away.
We also use BungyPumps which increases the calorie burn up to 75% and really works the upper body with 4kgs of resistance.
Exercising in the great outdoors has so many benefits so why not come along to your local walk and you will be given a warm and friendly welcome; starting your journey of well-being with a group of like-minded, passionate and supportive people
Our WALX Master, Coaches and Guides are professional, qualified and passionate about making our WALX unforgettable!
- So whether you want to walk for fitness, fun or simply to be in the great outdoors, join now and explore WALX that are welcoming, well organised and inspirational… wherever you may be.
- Join one of our Drop-in WALX to find out more and take your first steps into a world of WALX.
- If you’re an occasional walker, you can find a Drop-in WALX where you will be welcome to join in whenever it suits you. If you want more, then the WALX membership is ideal for you.
- For a low cost monthly fee you can join unlimited WALX with us.
- Check out our blogs and see what fun is in store on our online diary.
- Stay in touch and sign up for our Newsletter.
Charlotte – WALX Guide
Meet Charlotte, our senior WALX Guide. She started Nordic Walking with WALX With Sole in July 2016 and really got bitten by the Nordic Walking bug.
“I honestly believe I am one of the most uncoordinated people on the planet, but I seem to find walking with poles easy and very enjoyable. Walking helps me relax, unwind and clear my head. It also has the added bonus of a full body workout.”
Janine Lewis – WALX Master
Janine is the WALX For Sole Master: qualified as a Nordic Walking Instructor, Freestyle Fitness Yoga Coach and Tai Chi Movements for Wellbeing (TMW) Coach. She is the creator of Qi WALX and Qi Breathing WALX; slow is strong.She also cascades the WALX official training program to new WALX Guides and is part of the Business Development team for WALX.
Janine discovered Nordic walking in 2009 when she decided to take part in long distance events. Her first ultra marathon was the Forces March, billed as 5 marathons over 5 days. She did this dressed as a 6ft duck and for the Veteran’s Charity. She continued to use Nordic walking for fitness and keep her weight and blood pressure down. She loved the all over body conditioning and toning from the Nordic poles and at the same she could be exercising her five dogs and be outdoors. She has also been a keen open water swimmer, kayaker and backpacker.
Since 2010 she has mentored and coached many people to aspire to weight loss and fitness challenges. She has also taken on a few more challenges from 5km barefoot runs to 24 hour solo ultras.
At school Janine hated sports and would avoid being in a gym. Fresh air fitness stimulates the mind, body and soul, on the soles and gives a feeling of wellbeing and wholeness. A change of perspective as what exercise is and how much fun it can, with so many positive benefits has switched Janine around to love “sports”.
She loves endurance events and shares her passion and anecdotes to inspire members to take up a challenge.
Her team building events and girl parties have been successful. She enjoys creating walks of all kinds, from those to test your own strength of mind and body, to a themed party walk such such as WALX with Hawks, Prosecco Parties with added bounce, Detox Breaks WALX …oh the list is endless.
Janine will help you re-discover your inner sparkle; WALX With Sole isn’t just about exercise but a way of life.
She is also available as a guest speaker. Her most requested themes are “Rambling Duck Tale Adventures”, “Kindfulness for longevity” and “Slow is Strong”.
Janet – WALX Guide
Janet joined the WALX With Sole team in May 2019. She took up Nordic walking to compliment her cross training for running. She is also a keen Outdoor Swimmer, with a penchant for wild swims, plus cycling.
Derek – WALX Guide
Derek started Nordic Walking in November 2019 with his wife Val. He initially did this to encourage her to get out more and loved how she became more mobile. He is a keen runner, cyclist and outdoor swimmer. He has overcome the stroke that left him virtually unable to walk, to take up his sports and activities again.
Derek loves all the WALX and helps as a WALX Guide across all abilities.
Rachel – WALX Guide
Rachel joined the WALX With Sole team in May 2019. She took up Nordic walking to help lose weight and regain energy. She has an under active thyroid. She now feels she has got her life back and would like to share her story and enthusiasm to inspire others.
Martin – WALX Guide
Martin wanted to beat his pre-Diabetes II diagnosis from his doctor. Although he played racquet sports and walked with friends he wanted to add in something that was more of a cardio workout. His doctor suggested Nordic Walking.
He did our award-winning Fast Track beginner course in April 2019 and really has taken to Nordic walking like a duck to water! He qualified as a WALX guide in October 2020, although he had been supporting a few walks through the year.
2021 will see him take on a few challenges including the 136 mile Forces March and Reading Half Marathon.